Monday, August 6, 2012

finding my way

"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it--but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor" 
Oliver Wendell Holmes

To find myself supported by others who share a passion to create is a wonderful feeling.  To share admiration for a rusted piece of steel discarded in a bin, to see a "kindred spirit" in others-maybe this is what life is about?  I was taken on a voyage of sorts today that I could not have envisioned, yet another example of how I should stop trying to always "have a plan."  A thumbs up out the car window lead us to a personal tour of a local propeller foundry, not only were the GIANT machines and fire shooting out of the furnaces REALLY COOL-but the pride, knowledge, and willingness to share of his craft left my heart filled with joy.  And when Mr. James is showing you the snapshots of his metalwork over the last few decades and says, while turning the final page "there it is...my heart's work" you gotta smile. Oh, and if you haven't been over to CoRK, you should check it out, it's a pretty special place too :)

This machine is used to clean up the propeller after it is poured (look at all the tiny brass shavings EVERYWHERE!)

Molds for the props; cut out of wood using computer patterns that they upload into their CNC machine.    

Fire!
A few goodies found along the way.



No comments:

Post a Comment